Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas), Mansfield TX
Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas) is a sweet smelling, non-irritating, colorless gas which you can breathe.
Nitrous Oxide has been the primary means of sedation in dentistry for many years and is very safe. The patient receives 50-70% oxygen with no less than 30% nitrous oxide and is able to breathe on their own.
There are many advantages to using Nitrous Oxide:
- the depth of sedation can be altered at any time to increase of decrease sedation
- there is no after effect such as a “hangover”
- inhalation sedation is safe with no side effects on you heart lungs, etc.
- inhalation sedation is very effective in minimizing gagging
- It works rapidly as it reaches the brain within 20 seconds. In as few as 2-3 minutes its relaxation and pain killing properties develop.
Reasons to not use Nitrous Oxide
Though there are no major contraindications to using nitrous oxide, you may not want to use it if you have emphysema, exotic chest problems, M.S., a cold or other difficulties with breathing.
You may want to ask your dentist for a “5 minute trial” to see how you feel with this type of sedation method before proceeding.